martes, 31 de julio de 2018

The street lawyer-A new life.-

Early Friday I was happily helping homeless people at the 14 th Street Law Center, thought not, of course, speaking as a lawyer when Arthur Jacobs suddenly appeared at my door. I said Hello nicely, thought I could not imagine what he wanted. He said no to coffee.He just wanted to talk.
 
 



Arthur said that the last few weeks had been the most difficult of his fifty-six years as a lawyer. Drake and S was Ok again now, but he still coul not sleep. He felt guilty about the deaths of Burton family and he would never forget it. And he was tired of chasing money. I was too surprised to say much, so I just listened. Arthur was suffering and I felt sorry for him.






He asked about the Law Center and the work we did. How long had the Center been There? How many people worked there?Where did the money come from? This gave me an opportunity and I took it. I told Arthur that because I could not work as a lawyer from the big Washington Law companies.These volunteer lawyers would work a few hours a week and I would tell them what to do.We could reach thousands of homeless people.







Arthur liked the idea. As we discussed it, the program grew larger. After a few minutes, he was talking about sending all 400 of his W lawyers to do pro bono work for a few hours a week.






Would 400 lawyers to be too many? Arthur asked.





-No-I said But Ill need help from inside Drake and S. I know someone. He is at the Chicago office, but I am sure you can get him back
As I had guessed, Arthur knew nothing about Héctor Palma or how he had helped me get the River Oaks file Héctor Would be back in W in a month, working with me.






Arthur stayed in my office for two hours. He was a much happier man when he left. He had a purpose in life. I walked him to his car and then ran to tell Morcadei the good news. We could help as many homeless people as we needed to.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario