sábado, 28 de julio de 2018

The Washington Post.-

The file was thick, Rafter had worked very hard. It was my copy of Drake and S complaint to the Bar Association, In one sentence I had stolen their file, so now I should lose my license.





But it was a shock. Drake and S wanted blood, my blood. It was frightening. Sincé I had started law school ten years earlier, I had never thought of any oher kind of work. What would I do without a law license?







But there was one thing Drake and S did not know yet. Tomorrow morning at nine oclock, Morcadei and I were starting a four million dollar lawsuit against them for the death of the Burton family.






I went into Morcadei s office. -what do I do ? I said.





He smiled.-Same as they did,Call the W Post. I was at college with Tim Claussen.He is one of their best journalists-





Next morning we told Tim Claussen about the lawsuit against the march and my night in prison, and this made it even bigger.





He asked us a lot of questions and I was happy to answer, Drake and S went to the newspapers first.


The story was in the newspaper the next day, For an old law Company like Drake and S it was the worst thingin the world. Arthur Jacobs photo appeared next to De Von Hardy.





There were also photographs of Lonate Burton taken from the march. You did not even have to read the story, the photographs said it all. Because of Drake and S these por people were dead.






The next day it got even worse for Drake and S. The Post Office did not like all these stories in the newspapers and they did not want River Oaks as their real estate Company. That left River Oaks with nothing, R Oaks told the W Post they did not know the evictions were ilegal. A million dollar lawsuit for the business by River Oaks against Drake and S was becoming posible.









Arthur Jacobs phoned Morcadei at the Law Center, He wanted to meet Morcadei at Drake and S offices to talk about the lawsuit, Without me. Morcadei smiled at me.- This could be the meeting, he said.






-Maybe, I replied.






My future could depend on Morcadeis talk with Arthur Jacobs. That night I coul not sleep. Morcadei was enjoying himself. He told me afterward that he could not believe Arthur Jacobs was nearly eighty,







The old man told Morcadei immediately that Braden Chance was gone. He did not choose to leave Drake and S.They told him to go. Chance had been the only one who knew those people were tenants. I believe that.







Morcadei showed Arthur Jacobs the missing note from the file and the receipt. Rafter was at the meeting too, with some other lawyers and for a long time none of them said a Word.




Then Arthur Jacobs made a suggestion ....he said he wanted to meet with us and a judge. With the judge there, we could decide lawsuit, and the Bar Association complaint. The judge would be Judge De Orio, who Morcadei Knew was a fair judge.



 

-What do you think?



-I say we do it. I will call Judge De Orio and arrange a time.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario