miércoles, 11 de julio de 2018

Morcadei Green.-

I had told Polly I would be at work today- the day after Mister came into the office. But for the first time ever, I did not go to work when I was well enough to go.








Just as it started to snow, I got into my car, a Lexus, and drove through the Street of Washington. The snow came down harder and harder, just I drove








Poly voice came over the car phone. She sounded worried.






-Where are you ?






-Who wants to Know?







-A lot of people, Arthur Jacobs wants to see you. You have clients waiting for you.







-I am fine, Polly...Tell everybody, I am at the doctors office.






-Are you?






-No, but I could be.






I drove around Georgetown, not going anywhere, just driving. The clouds were dark. The snow would be heavy. People were hurring throuhg the snow on the sidewalks. I saw a homeless man and wondered if he knew De Von Hardy. Where do Street people go in a snowstorm.








I called the hospital. I wanted to ask Claire to meet me for lunch. But the hospital said Claire was busy and they could not contact her.  That was the end of our lunch together.







I turned and went northeast, past Logan Circle, into the gang área of the city, and drove until I found the 14 th Street Law Center. I parked at 14 th and Q, certain that I would never see the expensive Lexus again.








The 14 Street Law Center was in an old, tall, red brick house that had seen better days.








The Windows on the top floor were protected by pieces of Wood over the grass. The door was not locked. I went in slowly out of the snow, and entered another world.










It was a law office all right at Drake and S. I stepped into a large furniture here, not like at D and S.










There was a large photograh of Martin Luther King on one Wall. The office was busy and dusty and interesting.







-You looking for somebody? asked a man at a desk with the name Sofia Mendoza on it. She looked Mexican. She was not smiling but I did.








It was funny. Nobody at Drake would talk to a visitor like that. They would lose their job. But I would talk to a visitor like that. They would lose their job. But I would son learn how important Sofia was to the 14 Street Law Center.





No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario