martes, 6 de agosto de 2019

Hearth of Darkness-Joseph Conrad.- 4.-

Before forty-eight hours I was crossing the Channel to show myself to my employers, and sign the contract, In a very few hours it was all ready.











There was yet a visit to the doctor. The old physician felt my pulse, and then asked me whether I would let him measure my head. Rather surprised I said yes... I always ask leave, in the interest of science, to measure the crania of those going out there, he said. And when they come back, too ? I asked .I never see them, he remarked, and moreover, the changes take place inside, you know. he smiled. So you are going out there, Interesting. Ever any madness in your family? he asked.I felt very annoyed.











Is that questions in the interest of science too? It would be, he said, without taking notice of my irritation, interesting for science to watch the the mental changes of individuals, on the spot, but...Pardon my questions, but you are the first Englisman coming under my observation...Avoid irritation more tan exposure to the sun. Good bye-













One thing more remained to do- say good by to my excellent aunt. I had a cup of tea with her-the last decent cup of tea for many days-and we had a long chat by the fireside. It appeared I was to her something like an emisary of light, like a lower sort of apostle. She talked about weaning those ignorant millions from their horrid ways-















She made me quite uncomfortable. It is querer how out of toach with truth women are, They live in a would of their own.













After this visit, a querer feeling came to me that I was an impostor. For a second or two, I felt as though, instead of going t the center of a continent, I were about to set off for the center of the Earth.


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario