sábado, 24 de agosto de 2019

Heart of Darkness.- Joseph Conrad.-6-

Instead of going up, I turned and descended to the left. My idea was to get them out of sight before I climbed the hill. You know I am not particulary tender. I ve seen the devil of violence, the devil of greed and the devil of hot desire, but by all the stars! these were strong, lusty, red-eyed devils, that swayed and down men.











Finally I descended the hill, towards some tres I had seen .Black shapes crouched, lay, sat between the tres, in all the attitudes of pain, abandonment and despair. They were dying slowly -it was very clear. They were not enemies, they were not criminals, they were nothing earthly now-nothing but black shadows of disease and starvation.











Brought from all the recesses of the coast in all the legality of contracts, lost in uncongenial surroundings, fed on unfamiliar food, they sickened, became inefficient, and were then allowed to crawl away and rest. I saw a face near my hand. His sunken eyes, looked up me,enormous and vacant. The man seemed Young-almost a boy. I found nothing else to do but to offer him one of my biscuits I had in my pocket. His fingers closed slowly on it and held. Another one of these creatures rose, and went off on all fours towards the river to drink. Then sat up, and after a time let his head fall on his breastbone.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario